Descriptor pages for multiple versions of a publication may be retrieved. Users should carefully check the version or date to match publications to their needs.
Access this Publication
Connect to the document
This document is one volume or edition of a serial (recurring) publication. Click here to access the entire series.
Sample text from the file
.Adult learners often face multitude of barriersto their academic achievement. successful adult literacy program is aware of those barriersand works with learners to overcome them. Chicago's De La Salle Institute/Tolton Center empowers poverty-level adults through academicachievement. Their strategy recognizes that breaking the illiteracy cycle must begin with theadult who is the center of the family and community structure. The center's mission is to pro-vide excellent alternative adult education experiences within caring community where "every-one teaches and everyone learns." Tolton Center provides free employability skills,family literacy and child services in low-income communities to approximately people year.More than percent cannot read or write at an eighth-grade level. About percent did notgraduate from high school. There are learners who work at or below the third-grade level.When learners reach the seventh- and eighthgrade level they begin working toward theirGEDs. Nearly
Gwendolyn Brooks Building
Document Descriptive Information
- Date Accepted Into Depository: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:36:24 UTC
- Checksum Algorithm: MD5 SHA1
- Document File Checksum:
- 20120723201046_illiteracy_spring2011.pdf - checksum='2844673544' byte count= '304018'
Other Descriptions Supplied by the Issuing Agency
- contactCity: Springfield
- contactOrganization: Illinois Secretary of State. Illinois State Library
- contactPhoneNumber: 2177855600
- contactState: IL
- contactStreetAddress2: 300 S. Second St.
- contactZipCode: 62701
- dateCreated: 05 10 2011
- dateLastModified: 05 13 2011
- description: Newsletter about the Illinois State Library Literacy Program.
- govType: State
- language: EN-English
- numberOrIssue: Spring
- originallyProvidedURL: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/illiteracy_spring2011.pdf
- originatorDepartment: Office of Secretary of State
- originatorJurisdiction: Illinois
- originatorOffice: Illinois
- volumeOrYear: 2011